AAJA-SF is looking for a contract Story Editor for our Rising with the Tides: An AAJA-SF Storytelling Project. AAJA-SF is partnering with Comcast California to amplify the stories of the Asian American and Pacific Islander community in the Bay Area. We are looking for a Story Editor to work with the selected storytellers to develop their ideas, place pitches, and offer editorial coaching. The stories will appear at partnering media outlets, the Rising with the Tides project website, and may be featured at a future 2020 AAJA-SF Show Your Work or Hella Asian. The Story Editor will work with up to 10 journalists working on stories for a variety of media. This is a remote position.
Commitment and Compensation:
- Estimated 30 hours per month
- Duration: 2 months. NOTE: Original post suggested August 1, 2020 to September 30, 2020, with the possibility of extending into October 2020. Start and end dates will likely be delayed by 1-2 weeks due to extended submission deadline, and depending on project and editor’s availability.
- Stipend: $2400/month
- Participate in a kick-off call to get acquainted with AAJA-SF board and storytellers, clarify expectations, and review deadlines.
- Offer coaching and feedback to storytellers during designated weekly office hours to help navigate reporting, story placement, and writing, as needed.
- Send an update to the board on story progress, troubleshooting, and deadlines based on an agreed schedule, roughly once per week
- Join AAJA-SF board phone meetings to discuss updates and questions
- Additional phone calls and emails with storytellers, AAJA-SF board, media partners/contacts, as needed
- Edit submitted drafts and help AAJA-SF stage and cross-post any published stories on the Rising With The Tides project website once stories are completed.
- We may also ask to recruit your help reviewing and selecting finalists for the project’s storytellers in July.
- At least 5 years of editorial news experience, preferably with local Bay Area news coverage
- A proven track record of solid news judgment and storytelling
- Able to work remotely (access to a phone, computer, and high-speed internet connection)
- You are committed to partner with AAJA-SF to make the Rising with the Tides project a success.
- You are passionate about supporting Asian American and Pacific Islander journalists.
- You are based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- You strive for accuracy and fairness in the coverage of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.
- You are a creative and encouraging mentor who is enthusiastic about their role and purpose as an editor.
- You are willing to help journalists pitch to publications, leveraging your own network where appropriate.
- You have experience working with journalists across different forms of media.
- You have expertise in at least one medium, for example writing, but are comfortable developing stories across different platforms.
- You have experience covering or editing AAPI stories
- Description of why you’d be a good fit, and your experience with one or more of the following: editing, coaching/mentoring, covering AAPI communities.
- Links to writing samples, or website showcasing any bylines
- Links to any stories you edited
- 2-3 references
Please apply via this form: https://aajasf.typeform.com/to/jM9CVO
Application Deadline: EXTENDED to Friday, July 24, 2020