HERE’S TO 2011!
We are planning a number of exciting programs and events for 2011 from workshops to banquets to networking opportunities.
- Feb. 23: We’re partnering with other Bay Area journalism groups to bring back the popular Unity mixers. It’s a great opportunity to mix and mingle.
- What: Unity Mixer
- Who: you and others from AAJA SF, Bay Area Black Journalists Association, National Gay Lesbian Journalists Association NorCal, Public Relations Society of America and Society of Professional Journalists NorCal
- When: 5:30-8 p.m. Wednesday Feb. 23
- Where: Infusion Lounge, 124 Ellis St. in San Francisco
- Cost: Free! We’ll have complimentary appetizers
- Feb. 26: Celebrate the Year of the Rabbit with the annual Lunar New Year Banquet, at noon Saturday, Feb. 26 at Fu Lam Mum, 153 Castro St. in Mountainview. For more details include pricing and the menu, click on the “Lunar New Year Banquet” page on the right.
- March 10: AAJA member Cheryl Tan will read from her new book, “A Tiger in the Kitchen: A Memoir of Food and Family” and talk about how she transitioned from being a Wall Street Journal reporter to a food author. She will also sign copies of her book. Join us afterward for a no-host drinks and dessert at Max’s Opera Cafe, located next door to the bookstore.
- What: Cheryl Tan Book Reading and After-Party
- When: 7-10 p.m. Thursday March 10
- Where: Books Inc. at 601 Van Ness Ave. in San Francisco, followed by dessert at Max’s Opera Cafe next door
- March 11: This spring’s Student Pizza Night will feature guest speakers Ron Kitagawa of the San Jose Mercury News, Curtiss Kim of KSRO Radio, Adelaide Chin of Patch.com and LiPo Ching of the San Jose Mercury News who will offer some insight into how the way they do journalism has evolved with the industry. Students, come on out with all your questions and free pizza!
- What: Student Pizza Night
- When:7 p.m. Friday, March 11
- Where: San Jose State University, Dwight Bentel Hall 226
- Cost: Free! We’ll have pizza and sodas
- May 21: Get ready for this year’s National AAJA Convention in Detroit with an AAJA luncheon hosted by General Motors at its MainStreet in Motion event in Alameda! Plus enter to win one of two free registrations to the convention!
- Date: Saturday, May 21, 2011
- Time: 11am – 2pm
- Location: Alameda Point – 2301 Monarch Street, Alameda, CA 94501
- For more event information: http://www.mainstreetinmotion.com/
GM is offering a Corvette GS (which seats two) and a Cadillac CTS-V Coupe (which seats up to four) for members to drive from San Francisco to Alameda.
Questions? Want to drive one of GM’s cars? Please RSVP by e-mailing Ellen Lee at email@example.com.
- June 25: Want to know how to get your news in the news? AAJA SF is partnering with Hyphen Magazine to host a Media Access Workshop to help local community groups and nonprofit organizations learn how to write a good press release, do a polished interview on camera and other tips.
The workshop will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday, June 25 at 848 Kearny St. in San Francisco. For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aug. 17: We’re teaming up with Google to present a Google workshop for journalists! Learn how to use Google’s handy tools in your research and reporting.
Attendees must RSVP beforehand. Due to security needs at the Google campus, we won’t be able to accommodate people who have not registered in advance. Space is limited.
- What: Google for Journalists
- Who: You as well as our colleagues at BABJA and NLGJA
- When: 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 17
- Where: Google in Mountain View (specific location and directions will be provided to those who RSVP)
- To RSVP: Email AAJA SF Board Member Katherine Tam at tam.kath (at) gmail (dot) com by 5 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 9. Please include in your email what your speciality is (multimedia, city government coverage, etc.) and any specific Google tools that interest you or specific skills you want to learn. This will help Google get a good sense of what everyone is interested in as they prepare the workshop.
- Aug. 27: We’re celebrating summer by firing up the grill for our annual summer picnic from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 27 at Coyote Point Park in San Mateo. Come out for some fun in the sun and bring your family and friends. We’ll supply the hamburgers and condiments; please bring a side dish or dessert to share. We look forward to seeing you there!
- WHAT: AAJA SF Summer Picnic
- WHEN: 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 27, 2011
- WHERE: Picnic Area #20 at the Magic Mountain Playground Area in Coyote
- Point Park, 1701 Coyote Point Drive in San Mateo
- RSVP: Email us at qghtran (at) gmail (dot) com by Sunday, Aug. 21 so we know how much food to buy.
- DIRECTIONS: If you’re coming from the north, take Highway 101 South. Take the Poplar Avenue exit. Turn right onto Humbolt until Peninsula Avenue. Turn right onto Peninsula Avenue. Go over the freeway, and then circle around and into the park. If you’re coming from the south, take Highway 101 North and take the Peninsula Avenue exit. Turn right onto Airport Boulevard. Turn left onto Coyote Point Drive to the park.
- MAP OF THE PARK: Head for the Magic Mountain Playground Area and follow the mouth-watering smell of burgers cooking on the grill to find us.
- Dec. 7: Celebrate the holidays UNITY-style at our holiday bash from 6:30-9:30 p.m. Dec. 7 at Intersection for the Arts, 925 Mission St. in downtown San Francisco. Feast on food and drink. Mix and mingle with your fellow chapter members as well as members of the Society of Professional Journalists and the Bay Area Chapter of the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association. It’s a great way to warm up for the UNITY convention next summer in Las Vegas. We’ll also have the 2012 AAJA Men of Broadcast Calendar for sale, a silent auction and other fun activities.
- WHAT: Holiday Party
- WHEN: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 7
- WHERE: Intersection for the Arts, 925 Mission St. in San Francisco
- COST: Free and no need to RSVP